TRANSLATION BY GOOGLE
THREE BOXES OF WATER
They came to Porto Velho in the United States of America.
Located in a high region of the city, used to supply households in the city of Porto Velho, in general households of workers and technicians of the Estrada de Ferro Madeira-Mamore.
They were installed by contractor May, Jeckyll & Randolph, and the first west mounted in 1910 and the other in 1912.
Each of the three water tanks bring written in a small plaque at the base of one of his legs the following inscription:
IRION & BRIDGE WORKS
At Christmas time they gain a whole special lighting, leaving magnificent. It's worth knowing them.
Today is tourist monuments of the city of Porto Velho, appearing on the crest and flag of the city.
SQUARE OF THE THREE BOXES WATER
Had his project conceived in the mayor and engineer Paiva Francisco in the 1970s.
The square is held a variety of events and artistic and cultural events at the feet of three waters.
And almost every day during local artist shows his paintings that depict regional beauties outdoors, and have attracted many admirers.
HOUSE OF CULTURE IVAN MOROCCOS
It was inaugurated on July 7, 1997 by Governor Valdir Raupp, and since then has exhibitions of artworks by local and foreign.
FRANCISCO MEIRELES PUBLIC LIBRARY
This is the main public library city of Porto Velho. It is located downtown at Avenida Dom Pedro II, right next to City Hall.
The building has two floors, and a target for many young people seeking a place where students can conduct research, as well as those seeking a quiet place to study, usually for public tenders.
CENTRAL POST OFFICE
In its latest reform the Central Post Office in Porto Velho decided to honor the city, creating a large panel of a commemorative stamp from Madeira-Mamore Railway.
This agency is located for decades in one corner of the intersection of Avenida Presidente Dutra with Avenida Sete de Setembro, the center of Porto Velho.
This park was created in an old rubber plantation, but it was necessary to establish lines of walking, fitness equipment, and areas for sports.
The park is located in the north of Porto Velho, already near the International Airport Jorge Teixeira, and is a favorite destination for those who like to exercise, or even those who enjoy being in connate with nature.
BUILDING THE CLOCK
This building was built to host the administration of Estrada de Ferro Madeira-Mamore but later housed the headquarters of the 5th Battalion of Engineering and Construction (5 BEC) and Banco do Estado de Rondônia (Beron), among others.
Today the historic building and one of the most traditional of the city, houses the State Superintendent of Tourism (SETUR), but, ironically, the building is perishing every day. You are very deteriorated, and SETUR does not care to see a building of significant historical value to the city of Porto Velho be in such poor condition, and the State Library and Museum that funcionan site.
The Building of the Clock was designed to resemble a locomotive, and is located on Avenue Seven incício September, already at the junction of Farquhar Avenue, in downtown area.
MONUMENT TO THE PIONEERS
It was built in 1983 under government oh the Jorge Teixeira de Oliveira and Mayor Sebastian Valladares. A creative architect of the monument was Helvia Reis.
Today, the monument that stood on the ball of the Clover Roque had to be removed because of construction of the bridges of the highway BR-364 within the city of Porto Velho.
SQUARE GETÚLIO VARGAS
This square is located opposite the Palace of the State Government, so is also called the Getúlio Vargas (creator of the Federal Territory of Guaporé). It is frequented by youth, adults and seniors, that amidst the go go day to day, or in search of shade and a place to rest, pass daily through the square.
MEMORIAL JORGE TEIXEIRA
This is the most important memorial to the governor that the state of Rondonia has ever had, Jorge Teixeira. Unfortunately it's abandoned, and its collection, which is a mixture of biography of the former governor with a history of Rondônia, is perishing with the passage of time without our authorities take any action.
CATHEDRAL SACRED HEART OF JESUS
On May 3, 1917 Father Raimundo Oliveira laid the foundation stone of the Cathedral of Porto Velho, Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Today Porto Velho is an archdiocese, covering many neighboring counties.
AVENUE DUTRA PRESIDENT
At the time of construction of the Madeira-Mamore Railroad Avenue to the current President Dutra divided the city and two: the west side (right photo) were the workers of the work, the language used is English and there was also a guard itself. On the east side (left photo) were the other inhabitants of the city being released the Portuguese language.
GROTTO OF OUR LADY OF CONCEPTION
This is the Grotto of Our Lady of Conception lying on the side of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Cathedral. The cave is beautiful and surrounded by bamboo. Many local people go to pray and light candles to Our Lady.
Pictures by Sáimon Rïver.